Getting down to the end

So it's final project time, and I'm feeling a little spread thin over 5 project. But just a few more weeks to hold on.

Anyway, here's the final result on my jellyfish skirt:

50 hours of embroidery, but it made it into the juried exhibition that my school is holding for our president's inaguration. It was the only piece of mine that did (I submitted 3) but still, I don't think many sophomores got in at all--I don't think too many entered pieces at all.

Fibers Field trip!

Last week we headed out to see the Hot House Exhibition at the Reading Public Museum, which was incredible. It really drove home to me how important our teachers are in the world of fibers. Mi-Kyong Lee, Warren Seelig and Chrissy Day all had work in the show.

My screen-printing design. Electric animals + light bulbs. I did two runs, one in teal, one in pink. The pink ones are currently a pile of pillows at the studio. They'll come in handy for nap time, they're pretty cutesy and dumb, but I like them.

My warp painting--I shot for a gradated plaid, and I think it came out pretty well, considering my weft dyed completely differently from my warp, even though I was using the same color.

And now I'm currently over my head working on my Beast.

Basically a paper/wire/foam structure I'm going to 'skin' in old stuffed animal fur.

Cleaning and gutting the stuffed animals turned out more difficult than I imagined. Thankfully I have friends (free labor)

Pile of smelly stuffed animals.

They're so scary when they're inside out.

Hardcore washing with synthrapol and detergent to get the stank off.

More later--working on some quilted armor and double weave.

Sugar Dress and Weaving

Sorry I've been absent, I lost my camera and was extremely busy for a week or so there. But now I've finished with a few all-night projects and I'm back with some great pictures courtesy of my mate Diana.

So the sugar dress took a drastic turn when I accidentally burned some of my sugar while trying to get it crystallized. The black, glassy pieces that resulted in a brand new idea for the dress, and I just went with it, despite having really limited time.

I ended up using the sugar as sequins, sort of loosely couched onto a cheesecloth dress that I dip-dyed (that was a process in and of itself, I'm not great at dying, and getting that color was quite difficult.)

Last minute working

Hanging at the crit.

I also recently finished my warp-painted weaving, but I'm lacking in pictures of it right now. But here's some shots of my dyed weft. Oddly enough, I used the same dyes for the warp and weft, and they came out totally different. Same string too, the only difference is the weft was immersion dyed and the warp was painted with alginate thickened dye. What came out brown on the warp was pink on the weft. Still, the overall effect was really nice.

More later--including the finished jellyfish skirt, weaving, and some of my new projects.