Hold up in posts is caused by the fact that as far as I can tell, the camera is well and truly missing. I have a very old one that was scavenged from god knows where, and will probably start using that soon, sadly, the quality of picture is very poor (not that I take great pictures to begin with )and I need to wait on a cord to connect it with. But I am working on two pieces right now, finishing Lireinne's shirt and starting on her cape/coat.

More Pictures than you can shake a stick at.

Upon urging, I've started a Tumblr that will be a dump for my many ridiculously unorganized folders full of reference pictures, inspiration, and other things that get sorted under "stuff I like"


Also, I have some much photos from my rehearsal that show the detail of Leoh's outfit much better, even if I do look dumb in them. Also some shockingly good pictures from the performance itself.


Surprisingly enough, people seemed to want the leg pieces to wear themselves more than any other piece.

Hurray! The quilting shows on the black side! All my work was not for nothing~

My head piece is rather twisted--but I think it's interesting that the whole thing still looks rather slim from the back. It also makes me have a weird stance.

Lookin' dumb.

And the actual performance. Which went completely amazingly. No one can stop saying how perfect the model was for the piece, and I agree--thanks Jessica! Fantastic job.

I have the video from the performance as well, but we're having trouble getting it off the DVD with audio intact. I have it without though, and may upload that soon.

Camera is still AWOL...the chances of finding it at this point seem slim. Bummer.


Sorry for the lag in posting--My laptop went FUBAR and my digital camera seems to have disappeared, making updating difficult. The laptop will be picked up tomorrow, but the digicam is still gone...so you may be dealing with some Mac Photobooth pictures in the near future.

But for now--I'm taking the photographic images of my work and turning them back into illustrations. It allows me to put them in a context without actually building anything (which I am rapidly concluding I'm not very good at.) It also makes sense that since the work starts as drawings, it should really come back to them eventually. Sadly, my illustration skills have suffered as a result of focusing on fibers, but I'm giving it my best shot.

The original photo.

Sketching out the character.

Sketching out the background. It was helpful to have the perspective in the photograph to work off of--that's my weakest point, I think.

Putting it together, drawing out the lineart. Done on translucent marker layout paper with a plain ol' micron.

I did flat computer colors this time because I'm on a short deadline, I'd like to do one in watercolor soon.

Putting it all together.

It's not too often that I'm stupidly pleased with myself, but I'm stupidly pleased with these sort of 'hidden' pockets in the hexagonal patchwork. I made the pocket pieces out of the left-over hexagons, then backed it with red silk and whip-stitched it in. The joint is just about invisible.

Sewing it in.

The finished pocket! There's one on each side. The only issue is that they're rather hard to access with the coat shut, but oh well. I'm going to keep this idea in the back of my head for later.

I also made a little union-suit to go under The Liar's outfit--It might seem a little bit over-kill to go so far as to make the underwear, but I fee like it's important to not neglect any part of the clothing. Also, the performance that I'm working on involves undressing, so I sort of need it for that.

I joined a pair of army long-johns to a rather strange (also military) woven wool undershirt, and made a button-placket in the shirt to bring up from the pants.

And, of course, I actually got a model for The Liar's outfit so far! It's been totally great (and somewhat surprising) to see all of the pieces together. I was a little scared to see it all on--I didn't exactly y'know, plan it all out, and I wasn't sure how the whole thing was going to work together. I essentially had no idea was the sillouhete was going to look like until I got it all on Jess. It's somewhere between traditional Japanese firefighters, a Moebius character and medieval armor. It was also an incredible relief not to be wearing it myself. I'm not a performer, and having the burden of performance on top of making was a little too much I think. It also helps to be able to see it performed. Many thanks to Jessica!

Starting from the base-layer. This actually fit perfectly, no fixing needed! She reported that it was pretty comfy, even it the upper wool was a little scratchy.

The pants also fit well. I was originally planning on altering the waistband of the pant, and now I'm not sure if I will. It feels a bit like cheating to leave it constructed like that, but it looks good and hey, if it was in good shape when the character recieved it, maybe it didn't need much reconstruction.

After getting the hooded shirt and quilted jacket on.

Opening the jacket a wee bit to see the red.

All together now! The only thing I'm missing is the stockings, and connecting the gloves to the rest.

The quilted jacket is really rigid, you can see it holding it's shape here.

My favorite picture, you can really see all the intersections and different 'colors' of black and textures.