It's not too often that I'm stupidly pleased with myself, but I'm stupidly pleased with these sort of 'hidden' pockets in the hexagonal patchwork. I made the pocket pieces out of the left-over hexagons, then backed it with red silk and whip-stitched it in. The joint is just about invisible.
Sewing it in.
The finished pocket! There's one on each side. The only issue is that they're rather hard to access with the coat shut, but oh well. I'm going to keep this idea in the back of my head for later.
I also made a little union-suit to go under The Liar's outfit--It might seem a little bit over-kill to go so far as to make the underwear, but I fee like it's important to not neglect any part of the clothing. Also, the performance that I'm working on involves undressing, so I sort of need it for that.
I joined a pair of army long-johns to a rather strange (also military) woven wool undershirt, and made a button-placket in the shirt to bring up from the pants.
And, of course, I actually got a model for The Liar's outfit so far! It's been totally great (and somewhat surprising) to see all of the pieces together. I was a little scared to see it all on--I didn't exactly y'know, plan it all out, and I wasn't sure how the whole thing was going to work together. I essentially had no idea was the sillouhete was going to look like until I got it all on Jess. It's somewhere between traditional Japanese firefighters, a Moebius character and medieval armor. It was also an incredible relief not to be wearing it myself. I'm not a performer, and having the burden of performance on top of making was a little too much I think. It also helps to be able to see it performed. Many thanks to Jessica!
Starting from the base-layer. This actually fit perfectly, no fixing needed! She reported that it was pretty comfy, even it the upper wool was a little scratchy.
The pants also fit well. I was originally planning on altering the waistband of the pant, and now I'm not sure if I will. It feels a bit like cheating to leave it constructed like that, but it looks good and hey, if it was in good shape when the character recieved it, maybe it didn't need much reconstruction.
After getting the hooded shirt and quilted jacket on.
Opening the jacket a wee bit to see the red.
All together now! The only thing I'm missing is the stockings, and connecting the gloves to the rest.
The quilted jacket is really rigid, you can see it holding it's shape here.
My favorite picture, you can really see all the intersections and different 'colors' of black and textures.