Selfish Sewing (or knitting, or whatever)

After years of only really posting up my school/"art" work or stuff to sell, I feel a bit bad, posting about things I'm making for myself. Heck, I feel a bit bad even making things for myself, period. Furthermore, I'm not sure if anyone'd be interested in the not-so-special things I make to wear, but that's what I'm working on right now, so it's either share that, or let many days pass before I post at all.

Whenever I tell people what I went to school for, they always think that's so great, I must be able to make all my own clothes! But up until this summer, I didn't have a single piece of clothing that I really had any hand in at all. I was far to busy working on school work to take a little time out for myself. So I hope you will understand and forgive my selfish work right now.
Mesh scarf for the winter, using up some grey wool I frogged out of a sweater a lonnng time ago. An extension of the filet crochet mesh I was playing with earlier in the year that never really went anywhere.
It did lead to a tiny neat little sample, trying the same stitch pattern out with some white wool I had left over and felting it. I like the hand of it, and am pondering the possibilities of using it for a patch-worked sweater/jacket/cloak in several yarns and sizes.
Not actually clothing, but something I've been meaning to make for myself for some time--a needle book. I usually have needles stuck all over my pincushion, as well as lost in my sewing box, my desk, my carpet, everywhere. So it was a necessary little project.
Fancy little patchwork cover, I sort love strip-piecing simple stripes and arrowheads and things.
Last week I started with the vague idea of making a drape-front vest, based on all those cardigans I've been seeing with straight-cut fronts that drape. The yarn is a great dark purple 100% silk that I pulled out of an extremely large sweater. Also shown, two sets of double-pointed needles I picked up from Philly Aids Thrift, now I'm obligated to figure out socks/mittens.
And progress tonight, one armhole in. The second will be made in a few rows, then the other front piece. It drapes really nicely, I'm happy. Kinda want to do a longer one, but in a larger gauge yarn, this is a bit much.
And lastly, I've had these Wallabees for a season, and never wore them much. I got them because they were a great sale, but I'm not too fond of the light sandy color, plus my jeans stained them with indigo.
So I dyed them red! Fleibing's leather dye is a wonderful thing. I love red shoes, and I don't have a pair now. Much happier.









2 comments:

  1. How do you dye leather? The shoes look wonderful. Is your idea for the draped knit vest something along the line of the Alexander Wang draped back/cutout backed cardigans and vests?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can buy Feibings leather/suede dye at most shoe repair places. It's a brush-on dye, very easy to use.

    No, it's like those cardigans that are basically a long straight piece in the front (as though a shawl collar just kept going) that drapes down as you wear it. Once it's done, I'll take a shot with it on.

    ReplyDelete