Finding my Knitting Needles Again

Folks, as much as I am confident in a lot of my fibers based skills, in today's hip and somewhat oversaturated knitting world, I'm a complete fumbling beginner. I'm pretty good at cables and stranded work, but once you start working in the round or doing lace, or shaping, I'm completely lost.

So I finally joined Ravelry, the promise of lots of step-by-step tutorials was too good to pass up. I think the unhelpful environment of similar sites like Craftster, as well as the proliferation of ugly gradient dyed and foo-foo yarn turned me off. But, with just about every skill, I have to start at the beginning, until I understand all the techniques well enough to use them in my work.



So I started a simple feather-and-fan scarf to get me over my fear, and I'm starting to understand how the stitches work. Plus it's helping me get rid of the random crap yarn I've collected over the years.




That ugly sweater I unraveled became (partially) a little cowl-sort thing for the winter, at least the colors look much better this way.


And the second pocket finished, I don't think I'll use it though.



Another pocket idea, I've wanted to do a black work piece for a while, and I like how this is coming out, we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. I think that though you feel like a beginner when it comes to knitting, how you use color puts you worlds ahead of other knitters. That pocket alone makes me want to cry - I've never been able to knit with multiple colors without making a huge mess.
    Having seen your other work, I think that you're going to end up being a fantastic knitter & create some crazy awesome pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete