Unfortunately, I seem to have left my camera at the studio today, so no pictures of what I'm currently working on. But rest assured that I'm both working hard on my internship (with an opera company, help with set and costume) and making my own work, though mostly smaller, more sellable things right now. Lot of screen printed scarves and bandanas and cute dresses coming soon. And hopefully an Etsy in the works. I'm collaborating with my mate Astrid a lot on these little things, and it's been a great motivator for us to bounce off of each other.
But anyway, at least I finally got picture of my final Projects project. They're a little odd looking, partially because my teacher doesn't seem to have focused them too well, and partially because I was scanning in slides.
The project invovled making a relic, or something to be passed down through a family. I made a quilted suit of practice armor for a little boy with horns.
Front--the two front and back panels are all hand-quilted and corded, the sleeves and side panels are machine-corded, and the shoulders are machine quilted (I was just about finished the hand work at 10 o'clock the night it was due, so everything else became machine work real fast. The little knobs are functional frogs and loops. All the giant piping on the piece was hand made, it's hard to see, but it's seamed together at intervals that get closer and further apart, with I think mirrors the idea of horns.
The back-the holes are to accomodate for horns, this particular boy has four, like a Jacobian sheep.
My crit for this piece wasn't terribly helpful, but I had Chrissy Day, my experimental costuming teacher take a look at it, and I think some of the things she said really struck me. I think the phrase was 'narrative or situational garments,' the idea that myt pieces often force the viewer to think about the person who would be wearing it and why. Which is great, because that also goes back to a lot of my illustration work (I acutally started out going to school for that, not Fibers) So I'm trying to expand upon that idea this summer.
Oh, and here's some bonus shots of a dress I did quite a while ago, and never really got good pictures of.
Made out of every scrap of 18 XXL red t-shirts my old boss gave me because they were misprinted.